Aidez nous à Trouver Notre Chat, Nous I’aimons! (Help Us Find Our Cat, We Love Him)

December 4th, 2008 · 32 Comments

Vini (cell) (689) 24.31.37 Capitiane: Kyber Logue, Bateau “Natural Mystic” Marina Taina, TahitiPkiddy--4.jpg

Recompense (Reward) 200.000F or $2,000

Dernier vu 25/11/08 à la Marina Taina. Gros chat du bengale male: Coloré jaune, marron, orange tigré, tache noir, raie noir, ventre blanc. Poids: env. 10kg. Yeux vert. Avec collier symbole Pirate et le nom du Bateau “Natural Mystic”. Vive à Marina Taina sur le bateau catamaran “Natural Mystic”. P-Kiddy-2.jpg

Our crash course in French continues abort the Natty M, and the search for P has never stopped. Our Australian friend Namoi has hired two pet psychics for us (Muchas Grascias Nomes) and both say the P is alive and scared out of his mind, hiding and only coming out for food at night. I would have to believe this is true, as apparently no one here spays or neuters their animals and no exaggeration every house here has at least two dogs, but four is probably closer to the average and eight to ten is not unusual. The friendlier ones roam free and the unfriendlier ones are MOSTLY are chained to trees or posts, this is by no way a rule though. I find it quite sad and the same goes for cats too and even some of them are tied up to various objects. All this makes searching at night quite deadly. P-Kiddy-1.jpg

We have had two possible P sightings. In a poorer neighborhood near the marina, where one of the psychics said he might be hiding, a lady said she thought she saw him and a man thought so too, but neither with much certainty. The neighbors said the lady was crazy (seemed nice to me) and the man who knows. We canvassed this neighborhood extensively going to every house door to door, handing out the fliers and with our Tahitian friend Charlotte, talking and translating everything for us, what an unbelievable help and there is no way to thank her enough for the time and effort she expended for people she only just met.

P-Kiddy-5.jpg

We have an add in the newspaper here, La Depeche and one morning early a man called our friend Virginia, another girl we just met who lives here and has been an unbelievable help too and again there is no way to thank her enough. She drove me to the paper, helped place the add and let us put her phone number in it, so the people who only speak French (most Tahitians) can call her, as when they call me I stumble with my rudimentary french phrases and then run down the dock to hand the phone to someone who is fluent in both languages. That said, I had been searching until about 2am, the night before, she got the call about 6:30am and by 7am, Virginia had blown off work and drove us to the neighborhood about 6 kilometers south of the marina and we all searched for the furball. The man had even printed out pictures of P from the internet and said he was quite sure it was the cat, but didn’t see the collar. P kiddy necklace.jpg

He claimed, P had been in his backyard and jumped back over the fence into a field, which amazingly enough was quite free of dogs, but surrounded by them on all sides and full of brambles, 6 feet thick in places. I, completely unprepared tromped through the field for hours with Tina, getting all cut up in my flip-flops and board shorts and Virginia, who eventually had to leave for work drove us around to look a little more first. Tina and I stayed behind and searched the field some more and then walked the neighborhoods on either side for miles and miles, talking with everyone and handing out and putting up fliers until the scorching tropical sun had reduced us to melting piles of human flesh by mid-afternoon and we had to thumb a ride back home for a much needed respite. Pkiddy2.jpg

Everyone we have met in Tahiti has been, so helpful and most people know about us and our search before we even meet them, as Tahiti is an island, everyone knows each-other and our reward of 200.000F is over $2,000 dollars US. Most don’t want the money just want to help and the young drug dealing type males who just laugh at you when you show them the flier, instantly change their tune when they find out how much the reward is, then want the flier and want to find the furball too. A big thank you go out to the people in the tourist office here who, when I asked where a Kinkos type copy shop was, pointed me in the right direction and then when I showed them the flier and why I was headed there, took the time to make me all the color copies I needed for free and even scanned the flier and put it into a mass e-mail to send out to all their friends. P-Kiddy-6.jpg

So, heeding the pet psychics advice that P only comes out from hiding at night to find food, Dizzy went to the neighborhood near the marina just before dusk and I went down to the field by the mans house, we both set out food called his name and then waited in hiding for hours and hours well into the night to see what showed up. Dizzy made tons of dogie friends, they like food too (that neighborhood is just so full of dogs its scary) and got some cat activity, but no P. I had a couple of cats come to my position and when I saw one, I knew it was the cat the man saw and not P. Unusual like no cat I had ever seen before, a golden chocolate color, like the base color of P, but no stripes or spots, quite large, with unique puffy fur, it looked like a little mountain lion, P looks like a little tiger. But, still I hung around four a couple more hours, concealed in my hiding spot, shaking the food bag and calling his name every, so often. I felt like I was in Vietnam, with the enemy all around, firing off rounds of barking trying to scare me out of my hiding place and can’t imagine what it would really be like to be in that position in a real war, where people really want to kill you, not just bite your ankles.  Staying still for hours on end, in a constant state alert. No place anyone wants to be. As I finally packed it in, I had to stealthily make my exit, past the pitbull guard dogs at the entry to the field and my calm walk quickly turned into a run for it, as I was discovered and barely escaped on my borrowed bicycle with my ankles attached, as the dogs chased after me, with slobbery blood lust.

Tina worked all day too on the mission, going into Papeete making hundreds more fliers to hang up and smaller ones to hand out to people. We had exhausted our supply, as the entire side of this island is blanketed with them and again I could never thank her enough for all her help and emotional support, as I try to stay strong, but still there is a sadness in my heart that tries to creep out and sometimes does. This experience has given me a much better understanding of how people who mysteriously loose their son or daughter must feel and the torment they must go through, as there is always hope you might find your loved one, but you just don’t know and there is no closure. Obviously at an even much more emotional level.

It was good to focus my energy mostly at night yesterday for the P, as I do have some serious boat work to get done. We came to the dock in the first place to repair our port rudder we scratched on a reef in the Tumatous (charts are wrong, lucky we didn’t run aground, two cruising boats in the previous month had, huge advantage of drawing only 3 ft.) and one side of our boat is rudderless, getting this done is all the more urgent, as the first cyclonic system of the season has formed a little to our west and we need to be able to leave if a hurricane is headed this way, as we are well into official cyclone season here by a month now, and have no insurance should one decimate Tahiti (our insurance company excludes coverage for named or numbered windstorms if south of 10 South latitude between Dec 1- Mar 31, which Tahiti is), we also have to repair our daggerboards which were scared by the 7 illegal long lines we encountered leaving the Galapagos (solid grooves warn into the leading edges of them). The rudder is almost finished just needs some paint today and the daggerboards still more fiberglass. With luck all should be finished by tomorrow as the weather has been cooperating and not raining for the last couple of days and everyone is working hard to “get er done”. P-Kiddy-3.jpg

My birthday is tomorrow and I have never wanted one thing more for my birthaday in all of my entire life. The safe return or discovery of our loved furball, P Kiddy. So, keep all those good thoughts and prayers going and who knows, with some luck, lots of hard work and unbelievable help from, so many wonderful friends maybe my birthday wish will come true.  Thank You Everyone.

Lots of Love to all the friends of the Natty M around the world. Cheers – Kyber

Tags: Natural Mystic

• 1 Jamie // Dec 4, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Happy Birthday….33 years man…..you made it! I hope all your hard work pays off and you get reunited with P. You need me to ship some night vision goggles? I think Bob has a pair at his house. Take care and try to have a great Birthday feast! Jamie

• 2 Candy // Dec 5, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Happy Birthday Kyber!!

With all of my heart I hope you get your wish. We are thinking of you and sending positive thoughts…call if you can. Take some time for a fun Bday dinner.
    Love, Mom

• 3 Melissa // Dec 5, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Dear Kyber, Happy Birthday!! Brian and I hope that all of your birthday wishes come true and that P is home with you soon to help you celebrate !! We keep you in our thoughts and prayers and think of you daily. Much Love, Melissa

• 4 Trav // Dec 5, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Happy Birthday, Bro!

I dearly hope your birthday wish comes true.

• 5 Randi // Dec 5, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Dear Kyber, Tina and crew.
    We are eagerly following your happy sailing turning into a heartbraking story, with the P missing …. I am not the greatest catlover ( even though we have one at home) due to raising 3 girls alone, I must admit that the P looks like one of a kind !! He is beautiful !!!!!!!!!! And I see how much he belongs to your boat and to the whole adventure, so I really cross my fingers that you do find him again! Or more accurate maybe,- he’ll find you. I agree to his fear, and hope you guide him through that fear and to the safety of your boat. And as a mother ot the only female on board, I am very proud of her. And I can garanty you, that if you want a companion in a war, you would be veeeeery lucky to have Tina on your team. To chill you down alittle beeing in the paradise that you are….., we have tons of snow in Norway, and it is a christmas picture perfect here. The contrast to you guys are enormous. But every season has its charm, and yhe darkness outside is now bright. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wish for the P to come back to you as I feel the sadness and disharmony if he doesn’t come back. I agree with the pshycics that he should be back within 2 days. Please ask the universe for help. And happy bithdaywishes. Randi.

• 6 Mary // Dec 5, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Happy Birthday Kyber!!!

May your birthday wish come true.

Cheers!!
    Mary

• 7 Mary // Dec 5, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Kyber;
    Have you thought about locating a search and rescue dog? With so many dogs on the island maybe you can find one with this training.

Just a thought.
    Mary

• 8 Lara // Dec 5, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Hey Uncle Kyber,

We both (baby girl-to-be & I) hope you have a wonderful birthday! Sorry we aren’t there to help you celebrate. How fun that once your little niece is born you’ll have some fabulous stories to share about your amazing adventures with your sidekick P Kiddy. Just try not to make us at home look really boring. :) You’re all in our thoughts – most of all our favorite traveling furball. Happy Birthday! Miss you!

Love,

Lara

• 9 Cynthia // Dec 5, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!! Praying for your birthday wish to come true….Thinking of you…try and enjoy your birthday.

ox – cynthia

• 10 Jason Smith // Dec 5, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Happy Birthday there little buddy- sorry to hear about P. He’s a little tiger out there roaming around somewhere having his own little adventure. He’ll turn up – think positive- maybe set a tuna trap?
    PS- Our baby just turned one- almost walking.

much love,

Smith

• 11 Ben // Dec 5, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Glad you were born. Thanks Charles and Candy.

• 12 charles Logue // Dec 5, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Wishing you a Happy Birthday in Tahiti Kyber. Yes, things could be different or more perfect but you and the great crew of the NaturalMystic will persevere and prevail on your fabulous adventure and each of you is learning and growing with both the Good and the Bad that comes your way. As Walt Whitman said, “Now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find.” Love and Respect, Dad

• 13 kyber // Dec 5, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Thank You everyone for the wonderful birthday wishes. I know, I would have never been on this incredible adventure that is life with out all of the love and support of my family and friends. I Love and miss you all and wish I could spend this special day with each one of you. P is out there, in my thoughts always and I’m confident we will be reunited. We were meant for each other and will find each other soon. P reminds me, how precious every day of our life is, an absolute true gift and how being able to share it with him, and all of my family and friends is what makes us able to realize how precious this unique gift life is and to live it.

You can really feel the love of the people and islands of Tahiti here. Mother nature gave me a great little present of fun little waves today with no one out and I’m confident the people of Tahiti will help us find P and reunite us, as there is just no place like Tahiti for good vibes and friendly people. If he is lost and scared, I know he will eventually befriend someone and the spirit of these islands will reunite us. There is just no place on earth like Tahiti.

• 14 Supergirl // Dec 6, 2008 at 5:31 am

Happy happy birthday Kyber! I truly wish for you a reunion with the gorgeous P today and if not a slightly belated birthday gift of his returned. I believe it’s just a matter of time now… keep up the search. I’ve emailed you more info from the pet psychic saying P has moved locations slightly, and she will keep tuning in. Will keep you posted.
    Lots of love to you, Nomes xo

• 15 billy da kid // Dec 6, 2008 at 4:43 pm

happy birthday kyber, cats will usually hang near a fresh water/food source, if that helps?
    away from dogs or threats.
    later,
    billy

• 16 sabork // Dec 7, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Kyber, wow…I was totally bummed out to hear about P’s disappearence….I know in my heart you two will reunite. Perhaps P just needed a repreve from you smelly surfers or maybe he is just checking out the Tahitian life first paw. I truly hope he returns safe and sound….I have witnessed first hand the loving bond between you and P and it is very heartwarming. Good luck in your search. P.S. Happy B-day buddy, say hello to the boyz an give Tina a big hug for me….miss you all. Sandor

• 17 kyber // Dec 8, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Hi Everyone, just a little update. Still so sign of the P. I have been going out at night with food and waiting in locations that seem like a good place for a lost cat to hide and also places where the animal psychic said to look. No one has come forward for the reward making me think he is indeed truly lost, learning the lay and ways of the new land and hopefully in time will befriend someone who will reunite us. It seems like so many people here know about us and our plight, people we have never even met before. We have never stopped putting up and handing out fliers and I am improving on our add in the newspaper to keep the island informed and hopefully tomorrow can go by a radio station or two with our unbelievably helpful friend Virginia here to inquire about running a radio add. I will not rest until we are reunited, I know he is out there somewhere.

• 18 the Disco Strangler // Dec 9, 2008 at 6:59 pm

hey man I’ve got a Tuamotus blog ready to publish. U down for that?

-BA

• 19 Kirsty // Dec 11, 2008 at 5:50 pm

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF DIZ IS OK?

From his sister, Kirsty

• 20 kyber // Dec 11, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Dizzy is fine, no worries. He is getting his bent nose straighted back out tomorrow, just got sucker punched a couple of times by drunk locals. The really only negative thing about Polynesia, is when the locals drink they tend to get violent for no reason, with no warning. But these situations are easily avoided, Dizzy just learned this lesson the hard way, like I did in my past.

On the P Kiddy front people everywhere know about us here and enthusiastically help us out. We went out to a possible P sighting yesterday and as our local knowledge of specific areas is weak at best, when we showed random locals where we were trying to get to and what for, they tried to tell us and when they realized the communication barrier, just threw us in their car and drove us to the right spot. And after a little looking people came out and showed us where the cat in question was hiding. Not P Kiddy, unfortunately, but did look like someone else’s lost cat, as it had a collar and was in an industrial area where no house cats should be living. We tried to catch it and bring it to the animal shelter as a good deed, but the frisky feline was too fast for us, so we left him some food and water and let him be.

The spirit aboard the Natty M is still great, everyone is working hard towards our common goals of getting the boat ready for more adventuring, having fun and finding our missing furball. We will keep you posted as to how its going. Cheers – Kyber

• 21 Kirsty // Dec 11, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Kyber,

the down side on being on the other side of the world is you just don’t know what to interpret with really limited news when stuff happens. I have just emailed him with my number but it is 0418 338 067.

Goodluck with the P Kiddy hunt and hope you have had a good birthday.

Kirst

• 22 Randi // Dec 14, 2008 at 6:58 pm

To the natural mystic crew.
    We have tried to reach Tina from Norway,- unfortunately unsuccessfully, and are sending out an sos to you on the web. Tina left more nearly 4 months ago, and beeing on the adventure that she is we would love for her to share some of the adventure with us, her family back in Norway. We have not seen a single picture of her since she left. Knowing she is roaming around at night in Papeete with the scaring dogs, we do get a little scared for her,- not knowing. And with the stormy weather You were talking about, Kyber, that’s coming up….. Tina, can you please send an e.mail,- christmas is soon coming up. We love you, miss you and need to hear from you…… Bibi, Sunna and your parents.

• 23 Jamie // Dec 15, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Yeah…Papeete is a scary place. I really didnt enjoy it that much. Hopefully you guys can leave soon and be off to another wonderland. Be carful and dont push your luck in Papeete at night with all those drunken club goers. Be smart and watch eachothers back…never leave your wing man or woman!! Raining here and snowing in Mammoth….just got some freshies up there and drove back last night! Jamie

• 24 Melissa // Dec 16, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Dear Kyber, My heart goes out to you!! Great
    advise from Jamie. Definitely know ,”when to hold ’em and when to fold ’em”. All the best to you and your intrepid crew. Love, Melissa

• 25 Sharona // Dec 20, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Hey Kyber… hope you are well. Just wanted to let you know we were thinking of you. Hope you are getting your spirits back up. You have a lot of people sending you good thoughts.
    We are back on the boat after a month of traveling. Headed for Key Largo for Christmas and then off to the Bahamas/Exumas as soon as we get a weather window. Take care of yourself and Merry Christmas & a Happy and Safe New Year! XXOO

• 26 Jamie // Dec 23, 2008 at 12:01 am

Merry Xmas buddy! Just kited our beach on 9s…brrr cold…wore my 6.4 wetsuit. So brisk and refreshing! Take care…hope all is well with everybody. Ill have a hot tottie for you! Heading to the snow on Friday for a little boarding and snow shoeing! Stay warm in the tropics….Im sure you will. Jamie

• 27 Henriette // Dec 24, 2008 at 12:51 am

Merry Christmas everyone on the Natty M.

Thinking of you, Kahlil, and hopeful of getting a phone call.

My sympathy to Tina and Dizzy’s families. News and photos from all the crew on the natty M would be nice. I regularly check the website and am so looking forward to getting some news and photos of my son.

• 28 Melissa // Dec 24, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Dear Kyber, Merry Christmas and the Happiest New Year to all aboard the Natty M!!
    We think of you often and keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Melissa and Brian

• 29 charles logue // Dec 24, 2008 at 5:40 pm

To NaturalMystic, one and all. Soon, Christmas Eve it will be and none of you where parents, siblings and friends can see. We know you are safe under the Southern Cross but how we miss and feel the loss. We pray for your safe return and as days drift by the more we yearn. So look up to your stars tonight and fix in your mind the incredible sight. And know that many think of you, as you sail out on the Blue. Love, laughter and kindness to each of you. Merry Christmas Charles

• 30 Jamie // Dec 25, 2008 at 6:00 pm

dump alert….dump alert….its a white X-mas here in Mammoth…..blizzard baby. It keeps coming! We need an up date!!! Whats up with you guys?? Still in Papeete??? Take care. JD

• 31 Melissa // Dec 26, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Dear Kyber, I love your Dad’s entry!! The Southern Cross is an awesome sight and I trust that you and crew are basking under it’s beauty!! Love, Melissa

• 32 josh d lingunegler // Jul 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm

i have a cat. his name is pickles. my other cat died and i can’t get another one, but my other cat is lazy and doesn’t do much he weights 20 lbs and sleeps all day