winds return to Tortola

January 18th, 2008 · 11 Comments

beachvert.jpg

The beach is empty because we’re back at it in the water. Like a much needed prescription, Dr. Nature sent us a good dose of north-easterly winds. They arrived Wednesday and have continued to build and are currently blowing at about 24 knots.

ky_bail.jpgA little time was needed to reacquaint the kites with the wind and give muscle memory a little shock treatment. ky_airbig.jpgky_airmellon.jpg It wasn’t long before big airs were being stomped and hard carves were sending spray into the air.ky_slash2.jpg

ky_slashrox.jpgky_slashclose.jpg

tyky_kites.jpgconcrete.jpg

beachpanosmall.jpg The beach has two narrow channels in the coral and several rock breakwaters. It makes launching a little precarious and coming in requires some precision.

tytail_seqnc.jpg Ty continued to push the boundaries of fashion while blasting tailgrabs on Thursday. His sunburn from the previous day forced him to rock the pants and long sleeve style. Will the local kids try to mimic his steeze? We’ll just have to wait to see.

After a good session, it was time for a little R&R. There’s not a whole lot of people around during the day so we had the place to ourselves. beachhorz.jpg

vollyball.jpgbeach_tree.jpg

Hope I’ve entertained and helped you daydream if the monotony of the daily grind has left you wishing you were here.

Wish you were here.nancay.jpg

By the way, I’ve updated my Bio with new music and pics. P-Kiddy’s bio has also been improved with a few shots from when he was a kitten and a recent cat overboard drill.

-Ben Anglin

Tags: Ben's blog

• 1 sandor // Jan 18, 2008 at 3:32 pm

RIGHT ON HOMIES……I’M STOKED U GOT SOME AIRTIME IN…NICE OUTFIT TY…BEN, I’M REALLY ENJOYING THE UPDATES AND PICS..GOOD JOB! CAN’T WAIT TO HANG WITH U GUYS….STAY COOL AND REMEMBER…IF IT’S EMPTY,FILL IT UP. IF IT’S FULL, EMPTY IT. SCRATCH WHERE IT ITCHES! SANDOR

• 2 paul // Jan 18, 2008 at 6:01 pm

finally getting some kiting in i wish i could get some of that in the wind has been awful here. anyway have fun and is ty wearing spray pants?…

• 3 Jamie // Jan 18, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Thats it boys…the wind gods are there for you. Get Tye a one piece lycra suit at the dive shop!!! Yeah, captain 80s man!! Bruce lee strip down the side!! Any surf any where for kiting…freestyle jam, man! Any old school soul windsurfers out? You guys need some Hybrid kites,,,C- kites are totally lame! Have fun and drink a ton of rum after long sessions! JD

• 4 Sylvia, Ben's other parent // Jan 18, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Wow, looks like you are really in paradise. And yes, we DO wish we were there! Great pics, Ben – keep ’em coming. Love you!

• 5 Paolo // Jan 20, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Have you guys crawled over to Bomba’s lately? On the way to Cane Garden. Full moon=tea time! I recommend a taxi back to the marina.

• 6 kyber // Jan 21, 2008 at 11:48 am

Its this wednesday, should be fun times!!!!

• 7 zimm // Jan 22, 2008 at 9:51 pm

You guys are blowing it. Jaime and I windsurfed bedwetters today, southeast wind, 6.5’s overpowered, 6/5 hooded fulls, pouring rain, 60 degree water, 55 air. Tye if you were here you wouldn’t have to kite in your silly getup because you woudn’t be sunburned. Ya, we got it good here. Dreaming of sun and surf. By the way hit a tree at Squaw going out of bounds, full speed, crushed the side of my leg, been out for three weeks. Later Brian

• 8 cuyler zimmerman // Jan 22, 2008 at 9:57 pm

hey kyber, tyber, and ben hows agoin? i was just wondering if you made this on a mac ben and if you did what software did you use? thanx c you guys later. :)

• 9 Melissa // Jan 23, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Dear Kyber and Crew, What a trip!! I am vicariously enyoying each of your adventures and really appreciate your photos and written narratives. Brian and I had a wonderful time in the Caribbean and particularly enjoyed scuba diving in Grand Cayman. The guys who ran our kayak and zip line Jungle adventure in Jamaica were lots of fun. As they say in Jamaica–get jiggy mon!! Love, Melissa

• 10 Ben // Jan 23, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Cuyler,
    Yeah I edited the video on a Mac using Final Cut Pro HD. I’m having a little trouble compressing the footage. I have to reduce the file size to post it on the website, but I’m losing too much quality with my current approach.
    -Ben

• 11 Kyle H. // Jan 24, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Cool pictures, im glad to see you guys still riping kiteboarding….Kyber, are you still doing those toeside 180 pop-shove-its on your surfboard??